Wednesday, December 24, 2008

20061224

WOD
"The Twelve Gifts of Christmas"

12 squats
11 Sit ups
10 Wallballs 20lb
9 Kettlebell swings 55lb
8 Burpees
7 Box Jumps
6 Deadlift 95lb
5 Hang Clean 95lb
4 Thruster 95lb
3 Racked Lunge 95lb
2 Front Squat 95lb
1 Mile Run

Notes:
Begin with your 12 squats, then go back to the top and do 12 squats, and 11 sit-ups. Then back to top and do 12 squats, 11 situps, 10 wallballs...and so on until you get to the 2 front squat. Then you do the whole thing one last time and run 1 mile at end to FINEX (finish exercise). For Rx do all body-weight reps in unbroken sets, and do not put bar down between 95lb weighted sets.

49:50 (subbed 20 lb db, one in each hand, thrusters for wall ball) otherwise Rx'd

This one was tough no doubt about it. You just have to keep telling yourself to do the next thing on the list otherwise it is way to easy to take long breaks. I'm still trying to decide if it's better to do long exercises like this where a lot of work is eing done or short exercises that are done as sprints. These are definately mentally challenging, but at the end I'm so spent that I can't move like after Fran. Perhaps a mix of the two is what Crossfit's intentions are.

I was able to do all the exercises the whole way through without breaking any sets and the mile at the end was about 7:15 or so (8.5 mph pace with time to accelerate). My abs really cramped up on the run but I just toughed it out. All in all a brutal workout.

Welcome to the northwoods Part 1
Not sure if there will be more than one part to this segment, but I thought I'd record some of the funnier things I see in the gym. Today a middle aged man with a bit of a beer gut, glasses, and a mustache was working out. He was wearing jeans and a muscle shirt and when I came in he was doing squats. At least that's what he thought. He was wearing his weightlifting belt and had 405 lbs on one of those squat racks where the bar is on a track. Anyways he was doing maybe a quarter squat, his legs weren't even going to 45 degrees. I thought yup that's about right. I wish I had taken a picture but I didn't want to upset him in his natural environment.

No comments: