Thursday, October 1, 2009

The first of the tenth

Howdy, today will probably wrap up my workouts for the week. That is unless I get some motivation tomorrow before Harpoon's Octoberfest. We shall see.

On Tuesday the mainsite called for snatch 1rm. As you may or may not know the snatch does terrible things to my shoulder. However, I am determined to find a way of making it work. While talking with the Medford crew about my dilemma, Danielle dropped some knowledge from the Burgener cert she went to the weekend prior by sharing proper shoulder positioning for the catch. I have seen many videos of people straining to keep the weight overhead while having their arms really far back. Every time I see that I cringe because that is where my shoulder is weakest. However, the tip she gave me was not to try and catch the weight that far back (fair enough, I try to do that anyway), but the fact of the matter is that further up the shoulder is actually held in joint by the scapula and the surrounding muscles. Your shoulder position should be similar to when you lift your arms overhead with palms raised vertically, like when you do the Y in YMCA. I worked on catching like that and sure enough it felt a lot better. With that in mind I went forth the tackle the mental barrier I had put in place to protect my shoulder.

Tuesday WOD

Snatch 1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Got to 140 and failed at 145 4 times. That's a pr for me but in the end, I was simply not comfortable catching that much weight overhead. The mental block remains, however smaller than before.

Thursday WOD

Do each exercise unbroken
30 DB thrusters at 35lbs
30 sit-ups
30 goblet squats at 50lbs
30 push-ups
30 DB swings at 50lbs

6:07

This one was kind of fun. I liked the idea of trying to make 30 reps of each in an unbroken set (I was inspired by a workout posted on the CFB page which was inspired by OPT). The thrusters were tough, but the push-ups were by far the hardest. I didn't get out of the push-up position until I hit 30 but I did rest a bit. Even though it's not a lot of reps, I felt this workout after finishing.

Random Stuff

If you like music you should check out thesixtyone.com if you haven't already. I just found it the other day and it's full of stuff you've probably never heard. Enjoy!

No comments: