Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snatching Hams

Another great day at the gym. Today we worked on snatches and did some GHD exercises.

WOD
Snatch Balance x 3 x 3 (shoulder trouble)
Snatch (full squat) - Heavy Single (110 being careful with the shoulder)
GH Sit ups 2 x 15 (5 lbs in extended arm)
GH Back Extensions 2 x 15 weighted as desired (50lbs)

I was an idiot and did something to my shoulder before we even began warm up while messing around with a PVC pipe. DOH! That kept me ground though. I was really feeling great today and really wanted to attack those snatches. Ha. Unfortunately through trial and error, I have found some of the exact moves that attack my shoulder. One of these is the transition on muscle snatch from the shoulder being flexed to relaxed. Because of this, I was extremely cautious and didn't get under too much weight. Jon D. was having similar issues and showed me a way to get under the bar a little safer, but I still didn't feel very comfortable. In the end I worked with lighter weight to warm up to snatch. I wish my shoulder was more stable because snatch has become one of my favorite lifts. I don't know how because I've never really done it to its fullest. But anyway I worked on the movements during the lift and felt I made some breakthrough on better understanding the technique. Next time I'm going to have to work on landing with my feet a little closer together. Today I worked up to 110 and hope to progress little by little until I know how to keep my shoulder secure during a snatch. Baby steps (so hard to do). Fun stuff as always.

No comments: