Thursday, March 12, 2009

Internal Combustion

Yesterday, I tried to reproduce the recovery I felt on Saturday, after the met-con cycle, by sleeping in and fasting for ~16 hours (most of which was sleep). The results were not as profound as before, nevertheless I was not sore and felt recovered enough. This could have been due to the more relaxed workout the day before. I may try this procedure one more time in hopes of a reproducible result.
Today, on the other hand, I woke up to an upset stomach. My diet has been good lately as far as zone goes, so I suspect some sort of food poisoning (bad cucumbers maybe) or perhaps a mild bug (doubtful since I'm immune to everything). Even now I don not feel 100% (which is like feeling 100% for an average man, it's been said I have the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears). Regardless of this, I went to pay my tolls at CFO and take my beating alongside the other monsters. This workout was tough enough without cucumber tasting burps tagging along for the ride, but just like everyone else, I pushed through and finished (not before the 10 minute cutoff though).
WOD
For time:
135/95 lb Thrusters, 10 reps
50 Double Unders
135/95 lb Thrusters, 8 reps
40 Double Unders
135/95 lb Thrusters, 6 reps
30 Double Unders
135/95 lb Thrusters, 4 reps
20 Double Unders
135/95 lb Thrusters, 2 reps
10 Double Unders
DNF (finished in 10 or 11 something)
When time was called, Jon graciously offered us one minute of rest before to gather ourselves before completing the workout in the second minute to follow. I opted out of this (though I'm sure I rested about a minute anyways) and finished the workout shortly thereafter. I know I could have finished in under ten if my stomach didn't hate me --maybe it's an adverse reaction to those steroids ;).
The thrusters felt ok today and I was able to knock out the first 10 nonstop. The rest didn't come so easy, so sets of 3 and 4 got me there. The DU's were probably the best they've ever been for me. I got through 47 in the first round, and only broke up the round of 20 when I tripped at 7. Those felt great today.
This turned into a mind over matter workout for me where my focus was on not throwing up yet completing the WOD. Needless to say, I was successful in doing that, and am still fighting the good fight (so far so good). Regardless of mental success, I would like to try this one again when I'm running at full capacity.

No comments: