Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday Strength

WOD
Clean & Jerk - Heavy Single-208
Olympic Back Squats x 3 x 3 (110% of heaviest clean) - 230
Ring Dips (weighted or non-weighted) x 10 x 3 - 15, 20, 20
Weighted Elbow Bridge x :30 x 4 - 55, 110, 143, 154

This was a fun day in the gym. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits despite the loss of an hour due to daylight savings. The cleans felt great. I have really come to enjoy heavy Olympic lifts be it clean, dead lift, snatch, or jerk. My technique has improved so much just from join CFO, so thanks to everyone and their constant advice. I missed 208 only the first time on the clean, but jumped right back on it and it came up no problem. The jerk felt solid up until about 194. I need to work on getting me head forward as soon as I jump the weight up. I worked on that for 198 and 208, the jerks weren't pretty, but I got the job done. Now I need to work on a better land and getting the head through. Back squats felt great today. I wasn't sure how 230 would feel but the weight just seemed to come up without much effort. Planks and dips were also fun since everyone was pushing the limits and what not.

Last night I was thinking about ways of getting pumped up before a lift. This brought me back to my days of high school football and the intensity that was sought before each game. I also thought of the movie 300. I think it would be a good idea to come up with a chant or some sort of pre-workout ritual to pump everyone up. It would help build camaraderie within the team and help everyone before to his or her best. Needless to say, I became pretty pumped up thinking about all this and that probably spilled over a bit into the workout today. Just think what would happen if I were to watch 300 before a workout...

A couple more things to note. The night after finishing the met con cycle I slept for ~10 hours in addition to an intermittent fast of ~18 hours. Before this hibernation I was fairly sore, in the quads, shoulder, back, just about everywhere, but after I woke up I felt great. No pain or muscle soreness. I didn't expect to recover so quickly after such a brutal cycle. I'm going to try the same thing after this next round and see what happens. Interesting stuff here.

No comments: