Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Add two to the tribe

Today I introduced two more people to crossfit, John and Natalie Steinbauer. John is a year younger than me and Natalie is four. With these two now doing crossfit that makes 7 people I have help convert over the past year (5 this summer alone). However I don't deserve all the credit since crossfit sells itself. Anyway today I had John and Natalie do a variation of my first wod at CFO.
4 rounds for time
400m run
5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 squats
They don't quite get the hard push yet, but it will come and they both seemed to have fun. I've been tying with some ideas on how to successfully incorporate runs in the wods up here. the weight room is on the second floor which means stairs whenever you want to run, plus if you go outside (preferable to treadmills) you might have to plow through some senior citizens (pesky more than anything). However, that may be what it comes down to. I'll be meeting with the Steinbauers again tomorrow along with my brother and am doing my best to properly train these people. I'm just glad I have such great advice and coaching down in Omaha.
With this many people doing crossfit up here i think Crossfit Northwoods might not be too far away. Also, I'm trying to schedule an Oly day at the high school some time in the next two weeks. That should be fun.

Anyway down to business.
7 rounds
5 HSPU
10 1 legged squats
15 pull-ups
~18 minutes (forgot a stopwatch)

I would have done 10 rounds but John and Natalie had finished their wod.

After watching transformers today I was inspired to try a new type of workout. When the characters were running away from some decepticons I thought to myself, I wonder what I'd be able to do if some autonomic robotic creature were chasing me. Whenever someone is chased I think their mind reverts back to a primal setting and instinct outweighs thought. Actions are taken without hesitation and the body responds flawlessly. To test this I will have my brother chase me through the woods of our cabin this weekend maybe for 5 or 10 minutes and then I will chase him. A good old fashioned game of tag perhaps. We are also going to try to make a wod that combines swimming, chopping wood, and perhaps moving some logs. That should also be fun. What a great way to celebrate the Fourth.

1 comment:

Addi said...

Even I could like running if I were playing tag... I think you're onto something! Might try that with the cousins' kids this weekend - sounds a hell of a lot better than a distance run.