Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Well that's unexpected...

It was a great day to be in the gym. Almost every crossfit site I checked had a registered strength day and, due to the activities of the night before, I could not complain. Moderately hung over and slightly tired, I proceeded to the gym to lift with a few friends. My brother, eager to do a quick workout, met me there as well and I quickly dispatched him to do WOD #2 of the Rocky Mountain Qualifiers (scaled to regular pull-ups and 155lb squats-pretty much body weight for him). While he cranked out a 7:17 on the workout my two friends, Trevor and John, and I started ripping out some dead lifts. Since Jay was using the only squat rack in the place we opted for deadlifts over squats. Neither Trevor nor John knew their 1RM so we just kind of played it by ear. John made it to 285 before his form destroyed him. We dropped it down to 225 and really focused on getting the correct technique. Trevor, however, held his own. And on his second attempt at a set of 345, set a hefty baseline from which to build. I know I have mentioned before that my strength lies more in multiple repetitions as opposed to one rep maxes and today really brought the point home. My 1RM from June for dead lift is 365, but today I was able to pull 355 for 5 reps. How does that work?!? That means my 1RM should be up at 405, right? Bizarre as that was I was pumped to be able to lift that much. To put icing on the cake though, as soon as I finished my huge pr a gym attendant came upstairs and scolded us for almost knocking the building down. Apparently the windows were shaking downstairs and he was concerned. I should have told that's what you should expect when people do some SERIOUS lifting in their 'weight room.' But I didn't, instead I just smiled and nodded.

WOD
Deadlift 5x5
275, 295, 315, 335(pr), 355(pr)

After the workout, Trevor asked for some help with his overhead squats. Being the local crossfit expert I complied and we worked on the progression from air squats with arms overhead to overhead squats with the bar and we even worked on the snatch. And wouldn't you know by the end of our drills his overhead squats started resembling overhead squats. Next time we'll add some weight. This got me thinking though, maybe Crossfit Boston needs another trainer...

No comments: