Friday, June 5, 2009

Two days in a row.

Things have slowed down for the time being and I was once again not only able to go to the gym, but also to post afterward. Today I did the .com wod of 1RM DL and I also threw in 5x5 press.

DL
135x5
225x3
275
315
335
355
365
375 (Fx2) (previous pr)

Press
95x5
105x5
115x5
125x5
130x2 (pr)
125x3

My DL is really starting to come back after getting my back fixed. I'm almost to my former pr and have set the goal of breaking that by the end of summer. Press is coming along too. My former pr was 125x3. Press has always been a bit of a weakness of mine, so I'm glad I can push 130 overhead without too much difficulty.

Lately I have been noticing that my all out strength isn't that great, but my work capacity at heavy weights is better than one would expect based on my max lifts. For instance my max DL is 365 but I did 330x5 and didn't break any of the reps during the qualifier wod 1. I don;t know if that is typical, but I'd rather have the stamina than the ability to lift really heavy only once. When time permits, I'm going to work on building strength with hopes of making everything that much easier.

North woods sighting #1
I expect to see some pretty interesting things working out up here, so here is the first of (hopefully) many entries of the bizarre world of northern Minnesota.
In between my sets on the DL, a mustached man in his mid to late forties wearing a pair of engineer glasses walked into the gym. He had been attacked by the sleeve monster on the way in and was rocking his pasty guns. At first I was thinking, "Woohoo! Free tickets to the gun show!" but then his whipped out his workout gloves-vintage, full fingered, leather, work gloves. Apparently the glove that can do anything from bailing hay to working out. And he wasn't messing around. He proceeded to grab a set of dumbbells and worked those guns like no tomorrow. Meanwhile I made a full pulls on the dead lift feeling that one of us was in the wrong place. Unfortunately, I think it was me.

I love working out up here, just to get the funny looks.

2 comments:

Addi said...

If you hadn't mentioned the dumbbell curls, I'd suspect that the mustachioed gentleman was just your reflection in the wall o'mirrors...

John W said...

Haha. I'm just trying to fit in with the crowd up here. They do have mirrors as well, not the full length that are typical, but mirrors none the less.