Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pain and Jubilation

Well, since it's been a few days, let's go back to Sunday. This was a really fun workout involving some box jumps and snatch. (Sounds like it could get dirty right?) We started with a double box jumps. In this the jumper jumps over one box, briefly lands and jumps onto a second box. The standard we used was 5 red bumpers for the first 'box' and I got up to a 24" box+5red bumpers+1 green bumper on the second box. Turns out there are a lot of Crossfitters with some mad hopz. We should do more workouts like this.
After jumping box, our attention was turned to snatches. I have always been tentative about snatches and my shoulder stability (or lack thereof) so I took it easy and worked on form and catching the bar safely. Some progress was made and I was happy. (110-110-120-120-120)
As if that weren't enough, we moved on to a weakness exercise. Some of us did elevated HSPU while others did C2B pull-ups. I did the HSPU and since we had some time at the end a few of us also did the C2B. The drill was 1-3 reps every minute on the minute for 10 minutes. It wasn't too tough, so I did 5 pull-ups on the minute and 3 HSPU. Also, while messing around on the pull-up bar, I thought it would be a good idea to try and kip from a side pull-up bar to the higher cross-member pull-up bars and then back down. Getting up wasn't too bad, but it just so happens that the twisting motion coming back down was at just the right point to twist my shoulder. It's didn't come out completely, but it slipped within the socket. All that caution I used during snatch was now wasted. Oh well, such is life.
The highlight of this day was going to Brewburger and eating a double meat old fashioned sandwich. It was huge. I didn't eat it as fast and Jon D but I did finish and enjoyed every minute.

Today, we started another metcon cycle. Fun, but draining.
WOD
10 rounds for time
135 lb DL, 15 reps
15 push-ups
12:56
Push-ups are the key to this one. Lode it on those and you're done for. Unless your a push-up machine, pacing is the name of the game.
My back has been getting worse as of late and what was once a pain every now and then has turned into a constant ache. I want to get something done, but don't know which avenue is best. If anyone has advice I'd be happy to hear it. I can describe in detail what happened, as it was somewhat of an injury that happened back in November. Thanks in advance.

2 comments:

A said...

Hi John! Thanks for the cupcake/cookie compliment! That makes me so happy! :-)
Tell me what happened to cause your back pain...I have a pretty solid working knowledge of therapeutics, and may be able to offer some assistance, if you are open to the idea of yoga, per se. :)

Addi said...

Solid work on the brisket, John! That sandwich was no joke.