Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mixing it up a bit

I started out with the idea that this would be sort of a workout log for my training. Now that we have a workout log and stats sheets as provided by the gym, I might try and shift gears for a while and perhaps use this more as a journal? or I don;t know, something more interesting. Yesterday I saw a really cool blog (see Byers Blog to the right) and was inspired. I don't know how much to include because I don't know how interested anyone would be, but I'll try and keep things interesting and relevant to crossfit and nutrition. However, I can't make any promises that tangents won't arise.

Let's start with something simple. This morning I went to crossfit and had some fun. I think my sprints were ok (my last round was 13 if that tells you anything). Also, I was very please with the snatches. I have been babying my shoulder for a few months now. And with good reason; it has separated/dislocated at least 7 times (4 from crossfit either doing snatch or OHS). However, today it felt strong. I'm hoping that the supporting muscles are getting the picture and stepping up. I'm not going to let this go to my head and will take baby steps to what I hope is a full recovery. Today's progress 88x4x4.

Now on to diet, so far so good with the tangents. It has not been a good week for me. My sister was visiting and we went out to eat a few times. Also, she brought me some Valentine candy from my Mom (yes she still sends me Valentine candy), and I have been nibbling on that. But I have tried to limit the intake of sugar to immediately after a workout. I'm also sitting on the fence debating whether or not to drink milk and eat cheese on a regular basis. I have been drinking 12 oz. of chocolate milk as a recovery drink (by the way I think it was going bad when I drank it today). Different bodies say different things about milk. On one side there is the case of a village in Switzerland that relied heavily on unpasteurized dairy and showed excellent dental health and little illness, also Coach Rippetoe says whole milk is better than steroids. But the other side, Paleo, says that dairy is a no-no. I'm going to monkey around with it a see where it gets me. I've got a gallon of whole milk that I'll finish and not replace. Anyone out there know more about the logic behind dairy and is prepared to drop some knowledge?

Well I guess that should be enough for today. Off to scout some more CFO blogs!

No comments: