Sunday, April 4, 2010

Whoops

Today I was planning on going for a nice long run to see how it feels. My original plan was to do just over a half marathon, say about 13.5 miles. I mapped out a nice run along both sides of the Charles River, filled my camel back and took off. I started with a pretty easy pace and, since I've never run more than 6 miles in one go before, didn't push it too much. What I didn't anticipate for was exactly where I was supposed to cross the river. I'd never been that far along the run path, so I wasn't sure which bridge it was. Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and took a bridge that was too early. This cut my run down to a 9.77 mile run. Still, it was longer than I've done and for the most part felt pretty good. I know my technique started to wain a bit toward the end, but I tried to keep pose as best I could. I think this will help mentally on marathon day.

WOD
Run 9.77 miles
1:19 (average 8:12min miles, three traffic stops)

3 comments:

Missp1410 said...

I look forward to the day that I can do that kind of long distance running or even walking. You are so dedicated!!

Angela said...

I can't believe you actually did a long run!! I'm so proud :)
Now all you have to do is run 17 more miles and you've got your marathon!
How were your shins?

John W said...

Thanks!

Yeah 17 more, about that...
My shins are fine and I'm feeling much better than I expected. I took an ice bath last night which seemed to help. My knees and feet were a little sore today, but I can walk fine and am not all that sore in my muscles which is good. Sprints today should be fun:)