Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Back in Beantown

After a short sabbatical to the outer banks of North Carolina, I have returned to Boston with replenished motivation and ready to hit it hard, whatever it is.

The week or so vacation to OBX, as it is affectionately abbreviated, was awesome. About 25 friends from college were in attendance and a good time was had by all. For the most part I surfed (or tried to) by day and partied by night (and most of the day). Even though there is a Crossfit OBX, I was unable to attend and didn't even get in an official workout. However, I did a lot of paddling around on a surf board to fight the current, some swimming, and even wrestle someone for a short bout (I picked him up and body slammed him within a minute and he quickly surrendered, thanks Crossfit). The most exciting part of the trip though was probably after getting crushed by a huge wave (~10ft) while I was waiting for another to receive more punishment and test my lung capacity and underwater awareness. I was waiting calmly on my board catching my breath about 50 yd from the shore. When I looked over my shoulder I saw probably the most recognizable aquatic symbol known to man. That's right a shark fin. The fin was probably 15-18 inches tall representing a 10-15 ft shark (after further research my guess is a hammer head) about 30-40 ft away. As you can imagine I didn't wait for another wave. As calmly as I could I began paddling toward shore. I only looked back once and saw the ominous triangle still protruding from the water. As the shore neared, I caught a wave and rode it in. Even though I was done surfing for that day, I did return the next to further my surfing skill.

Anyway, here are the workouts I've been doing the past few day.

Monday
WOD
3 rounds for time
Run 100m
10 HSPU
25 Squats
Run 100m
20 push-ups
10 box jumps (onto a cement traffic barrier ~30 in.)

11:26

I came up with this workout while looking out my window. I was done on the green field in the bottom right corner of the above picture. It turned out to be a fun little wod. My shoulders were on fire and the box jumps were cool. I got a few funny looks, but it was no different than working out in a globo gym.

Tuesday-Rest Day

Wednesday
Morning WOD

Run 4.25 miles

34:18 (two stops for traffic and one for shoes)

Evening WOD
10 rounds for time
10 Push-ups
10 sit-ups
10 squats

6:38

All sets unbroken. I figured I'd throw two workouts in today just for kicks.

On Friday I'm planning on heading to Medford to meet up with a few crossfitters with a garage gym. From what I take, it's free and I'll be able to workout with a few fellow fire-breathers. It's been a while since I've trained in a group, so I'm really looking forward to it. Should be fun.

No comments: