Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Just another day

WOD
10 rounds for time
8 DL 185 lbs
10 bar push-ups
12 ankles to bar

21:17

I let my brother pick the workout today and this is what he chose. DL and push-ups were easy, but the ankles to bar were tough. I'm still getting used to knees to elbows and motions like that. Those are what slowed the workout. Yesterday I read all the articles posted on the Games sites about Mikko and have made a goal of becoming tougher mentally. It sounds like he was almost unfazed by the reps that didn't count and just kept pushing. I've found that trait in some of my Scandinavian friends and wonder if it's just part of their culture. I would also like to up my training, but that may be easier said than done.

A funny story from the Williams Brothers

My brother, Jay, and I have been doing crossfit as best we can all summer. I must say he has come a long way. For example, he did today's WOD rx'd only a few minutes slower than me, but be started the summer not being able to do most wods rx'd. Anyway, this story takes place on our way home from the gym one day. As you can assume we were quite alert and our minds and bodies were functioning to their fullest. It was a tough wod that day and we all know what that feels like. As we causally drove home we began threatening each other in a way only brothers can do..."I'm going to crash this car into an embankment!" "I'm going to shove a peach pit in your nose!" "Well I'm going to punch you right in the ear!" Creative yet ominous these one uppers continued. As I said we were sharp as a tack during the drive and since my brother never mumbles he was able to dispense understandable insults as quick as than a frozen trout, quicker in fact. But from a fluke or perhaps some swamp gas reflecting the light from Venus, he stuttered out something illegible. What he said was, "well you'd better look up the definition of an ass beating!" But what I heard was, "mumble, mumble, mumble...ass beavers!" Shocked that I had never heard of these interesting mammals before I asked, "what's an ass beaver?" We began to expound on the nature of the beast and from where it originates. Finally we concluded that these 'ass beavers' if you will, live in your large intestine and regulate you digestion. At times they build dams resulting in, well I'm sure you can guess. Nevertheless we were able to not only discover a new species that day, but also drop a knowledge bomb on the medical world! Since then we have discovered various other beavers that harm you in various ways. Anyways, thought you might enjoy some of the random truth we have up north. Take care and watch out for those ass beavers!

No comments: