Sunday, November 15, 2009

I guess that makes 3

Sunday
1.3 Mile Run with 50lb load (35lb sand bag and 15lb back pack)
11:10

In addition to the above fun little run, I went to the first 3 hours of Dr. Sears' seminar at Endicott college. It was quite informative and answered a lot of questions regarding why certain foods were bad and what we should be striving for. The main take aways were:
-inflammation is what causes the majority of chronic conditions in America today including obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer's, and heart disease.
- daily high doses of purified fish oil (5g-15g/day) help reduce the risk of heart attack by 70%, cause depression remission 500% more than without, reduce the affects of ADHD, reduce tumor size, basically help prevent chronic disease
-Strict Zone diet is pretty much paleo zone diet with high dose fish oil
-if you don't want to change your diet at least take 5g-10g of fish oil a day
-strict zone diet helps the best athletes get better
-molecular baking is the next big thing in getting people in the zone

Based on what I've learned today I'm going to try and hone my diet a bit. This week, I will be eating 2 lbs of broccoli, 2 apples, about a pound of meat (turkey or chicken), and plenty of almonds, walnuts, and olive oil each day. Once my fish oil arrives I will start taking that too. After Thanksgiving I'm going to keep up with that diet until Christmas to see how I feel. I know I haven't been getting enough veggies and don't know what else to get. My meat quality will improve (mainly chicken, turkey, and fish) and my fruit intake will decrease (not by much, limited to two servings a day) . In addition my fish oil consumption will increase. Hopefully this change will stick and I'll be high as a kite all day. We shall see.

2 comments:

kahrs said...

So is that 5-15 grams of EPA-DHA, or just fish oil? The ones I take have 300 milligrams EPA-DHA so 15-50 a day. Or 1 gram of fish oil per capsule which is much more managable.

John W said...

sorry for the lack of clarity. You should be taking about 6-8 capsules a day or 1800mg-2400mg of EPA and a little less of DHA. Ideally you should get Carlson's Very Finest Fish oil since it's purer and ultimately cheaper. check Amazon for a good deal.